[Parentsgroup-list] Fwd: Campus Lactation Room Focus Group - please join us to share your thoughts and lunch will be provided

Emanuel, Natalia emanuel at g.harvard.edu
Thu Sep 12 12:17:16 EDT 2019

Hi Blakely and Natalie,

I'm unable to make those times, but I thought I'd drop a line in case I can
be helpful. If you have specific questions/topics, I'm happy to address
those also:

1) Signing up was a bit of a doosey. There were solidly 18 different people
who coordinated one or two different rooms. Having a centralized system so
I only have to sign up once would be great. If that system could be
integrated with a google calendar or an app, that'd be fabulous, but not
necessary.

2) There isn't a pumping room in my building (Littauer) or the adjacent one
(Science Center). I didn't want to request one because space in Littauer is
already very tight and I didn't want the administration to get annoyed at
me. I asked about an informal space (e.g. an office of a part-time
secretary). They were able to informally supply a room one day a week. So
that was very kind. But also having a way to request a space that doesn't
throw me under the bus would be really great.

3) When I kick my (male) office mates out and pump in my office, I also
have no place to clean the parts (though I bought a mini fridge for my
office). Every single one of the Ladies Bathrooms in Littauer has a sink
without a counter next to it, so there is no place to lay a pump part down
when i'm not cleaning that one in particular. This makes cleaning them for
multiple pumping sessions in a day really quite arduous.

4) When signing up to use a lactation room, it would be really nice if I
could state whether I care about having privacy. I tend to bring my own
pump, so if someone else wants to use the hospital grade pump, I don't want
to preclude them from doing so. So it'd be nice if I could signal "I'll be
in this room, but if you want to use this room as well, go right ahead"

5) Using Harvard's pump rooms, adds 45 minutes of lost time a day. It's a 7
min walk from my office to a lactation room, so 15 minutes each pumping
session, times three pumping sessions a day = 45minutes. Moreover, I
couldn't always get a room when I needed to pump, so it really became a bit
difficult.

Happy to add any other thoughts if that's helpful.
Warmly,
Natalia