[Parentsgroup-list] Testimonials for Union Bargaining Meetings

David Romney dromney at fas.harvard.edu
Wed Nov 14 09:51:31 EST 2018

Hi,

This is a good opportunity for me to bring something up in relation to the
Union. I too have been worried about a lack of focus on student-parent
interests. Not that the union doesn't mention them at all - there are many
beneficial policies outlined in the bargaining goals, and some of the
representatives explicitly state family-friendly policies as a goal. But
representation of actual student-parents is dismal. There is no
committee/working group on student-parent interests. I forwarded along the
results of our survey (including many of your comments about difficulties
with childcare, healthcare, etc.) to the union, but it's unclear to me if
those results are being fully taken into account.

I reached out to one of my friends in the union who mentioned that one way
to better ensure our interests are being represented is to form a
committee. There are currently Time's Up, Civil and Human Rights, and
International Student committees (scroll down to "our committees" at
http://harvardgradunion.org/), but there is not one for student-parents,
even though parental benefits is certainly should be a primary focus of the
bargaining committee. You may have seen in recent emails from the union
focus on specific concerns of the Time's Up committee - meaning that at
least that committee is successfully getting its interests prioritized, and
this might be a useful route for us as well.

It would be fairly easy to start a student-parent committee. My friend
mentioned that there is support for forming a working group/committee on
student parent interests among those on the organizing committee. The way
to get the ball rolling on this is to bring it up at the next organizing
committee meeting. That committee meets weekly on Mondays from 6-8pm in
CGIS S450 (I know, the time is not very convenient for parents...). There
is a dial-in number for the meetings, although I'd imagine especially for
an initial meeting with them we would want to be there in person.
Additionally, there is an HGSU-UAW slack channel which provides members
with updates and through which we could let the Organizing Committee know
about attendance at upcoming meetings to make sure discussing this is on
the agenda.

With my involvement with this group currently, I don't have time to devote
to meeting with the Union, but I would LOVE to connect a couple of people
who would be willing to work on this with the union and get the ball
rolling. I'd be happy to attend at least the first meeting. I think this is
an important priority. I know that members of our group held a variety of
views on the union before the vote, and our group did not take an official
stance on it (and still doesn't). However, the ongoing bargaining is a
reality and we ought to make sure the outcome is favorable to those our
group represents (who are about 5% of the GSAS population!), and I really
hope some of you can step forward and help out with this. Please let me
know if you are interested so that I can forward your information to the
appropriate people and get you connected.

David Romney
PhD Candidate, Department of Government, Harvard University
http://scholar.harvard.edu/dromney