[Parentsgroup-list] Feb 9 meeting of GSAS Student-Parents Organization

Ana Catalano Weeks ana.c.weeks at gmail.com
Tue Jan 26 11:55:37 EST 2016

Hi all,

Thanks so much for the intro, Liza, and for all your hard work for the GSAS
Student-Parents Organization over the years! David and I are very much
looking forward to leading the group this year and hopefully getting to
know you all a little bit.

To kick off the year, we would like to invite you all to an open meeting of
the GSAS Student-Parents Organization on *February 9 at 4pm *(CGIS South,
Room 030 -- map below).

The purpose of the meeting is both to give student-parents a chance to get
to know each other a little bit, and to discuss how this group might do
more in terms of helping student-parents at Harvard. Up until now, the
group has mostly been a listserv, which has been great for sharing
information and resources. This year, we are thinking about focusing more
on advocating for policy changes to improve the lives of graduate students
parents. We would like to open up a conversation about current
student-parent needs and strategies for lobbying / working with
administration. Thanks to those who already responded on this point -- we'd
love to talk about this more at the meeting! Some of the advocacy issues
that we have been discussing so far include increasing the parental leave
period, child care subsidies, and reducing dependent healthcare costs.

Please come by if you'd like to meet other student-parents, and are
interested in having a say on these issues. Feel free to forward this email
widely. Children are very welcome, and the room we are meeting in has some
space for kids to run around. Light refreshments will be provided. We hope
to see you there!

Best,

Ana Catalano Weeks
David Romney
Co-chairs, GSAS Student-Parents Organization
http://handbook.gsas.harvard.edu/gsas-student-parents-organization

Map of CGIS South:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Cgis+South,+1730+Cambridge+St,+Cambridge,+MA+02138/@42.3750265,-71.1153253,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m2!3m1!1s0x89e37744397bb925:0xcf4f795206016674