[Parentsgroup-list] Group leadership transition

Nancy A. Khalil nkhalil at fas.harvard.edu
Tue Jan 26 11:39:48 EST 2016

Based on what I've seen at other schools, I would love to see Harvard
provide
A) better family housing: more of it, and more affordable, and built with
parents in mind.
B) I've always had the idea of a grad student run daycare co-op.  By
students, for students. (ie. a space, for those of us willing to take
turns, to watch our under school age children).  I know space is costly,
but it's a one time big expense.  Moving forward, between parent volunteers
and perhaps some work-study students, there would be minimal operating
expenses.  And, it could be next door to a library or work room, so we are
near our children as we work (for those of us who need that) but gives us
the time to focus to write or prep etc.   I don't know why we can't at
least have the space to pursue childcare that we can pay for in time and
minimal $$.
C) more affordable healthcare for children.  I don't know if Obamacare
addressed this, but this is also the cost of a month or two of stipend
income, depending on the number of children.
D) more family friendly social events and gatherings.  If one does not live
in a family dorm - of which there are very few, or go to one of the campus
childcare centers - which are outside most grad student budgets, it becomes
really challenging to find community of other families.  History and
cultures the world over have all shown that community is a big factor in
sanely rearing children.