[Parentsgroup-list] For international students using Glacier for tax returns: have you experienced this?

Selma Gicevic selma.gicevic at gmail.com
Wed Apr 8 07:38:50 EDT 2015

Hello,

I was wondering whether anyone else has a similar experience with tax
returns (this probably relates only to international students/non-resident
allien using Glacier through HIO to file their taxes:

-in my first year all I received was 6 months stipend and I had x amount of
money returned
-in the second year, all stayed the same except for that now I had 12
months of stipend and I worked on campus periodically, so this time i also
used W2. this time, *the amount of money that Glacier calculated to be
returned to me was smaller than in year one. How is that possible?*
I noticed that when I was entering data from the two forms I received from
the school, Glacier calculated the most of the return from W2, but almost
nothing in addition from the stipend total. This was surprising given that
year before 6 months of stipend had a significant return.

Please let me know if you had a similar experience or if you know why this
could be the case (I know there are many variables in this game but was
hoping there would be other similar cases out there)

Thanks!
Selma

--

*Selma Gicevic*, MSc