[Parentsgroup-list] Libraries excluding mothers

Mia You miayou at gmail.com
Tue Jan 21 12:12:37 EST 2014

Dear Harvard parents,

Last year I was refused entrance to Widener, when I need to pick up a few
books, because I brought my infant daughter (whom I carried on my chest in
a Baby Bjorn). I was taken aback, a little dismayed, but since then I've
become appalled to find that, from talking to other parents, women with
children are almost always stopped, whereas men with children are often let
in. My own husband included. The blanket policy of no children under 16
being admitted into the Harvard Libraries gives leeway to pretty regressive
form of discrimination.

I write about this experience here:
http://www.abradstreet.com/post/74065027259/that-abrupt-and-truncated-animal

I'm hoping we can find a way to get this policy changed. Please contact me
if you'd like to work together.

Yours,
Mia