[Parentsgroup-list] Health insurance for baby

Sara Suchman spsuch at gmail.com
Sat Aug 30 00:16:03 EDT 2014

If I remember correctly, a child has to be on the same plan as the parent. If this is so, it may be that you will need to leave Harvard’s student health plan and join with your daughter on another plan that you find through MA health exchange portal at www.healthconnector.org. But, maybe this wouldn’t be the end of the world, right?

Birth of a child is a “life event” that allows changes outside of the normal open enrollment period, but as Liza said, it still needs to be acted on promptly to meet the whatever the deadline is for changes after a life event.

This isn’t a busy season for MA health connector, so you can probably get through by phone if you’d prefer that as a first step to working your way through their website (which is pretty self-explanatory and will help you see if both you and your child together may be eligible for MA Health, financial subsidies on private plans or need to pay full rate.).

This such is such a headache. Good luck with it!

Sara

Sara Suchman, MBA, Ed.D.
spsuch at gmail.com