[Parentsgroup-list] Health insurance for baby

Chen, Cuicui cuicuichen at fas.harvard.edu
Fri Aug 29 11:52:08 EDT 2014

Hi,

Sorry for the spam.  I’m a new mother with a 7-week-old girl.  I’m now having a problem with enrolling her in health insurance.  If any of you could offer some advice I’d much appreciate it.

I’m on Harvard Student Health Plan, which gives me 30 days from my baby’s date of birth to enroll her as a dependent to my plan.  However due to various reasons I missed the 30 days deadline, and was told by Harvard Health Services that they could not enroll her.  They did suggest me call mass health, which has 60-day deadline.  I did this, but mass health told me since I was not a mass health member, I could not enroll her either.

I’m a bit desperate as her birth-related medical cost would be a large financial burden for me as a graduate student.  Can anyone offer any advice?

Thanks,
Cuicui