[Parentsgroup-list] URGENT | Relocation Advice Needed

Fallon Samuels fsamuels at fas.harvard.edu
Fri Jun 14 17:01:42 EDT 2013

Hi everyone,

I'm a PhD candidate at the Graduate School of Design in need of advice on where to relocate in the Boston region. After several years in NYC, my husband and I are moving back to the Boston area, with a 2.5 years old in tow. This move was not planned; an on-the-spot job offer today and job start date of July 1 requires that we move ASAP (gotta love the financial services industry). Because our lease is up at the end of the month, we have no choice but to find a place to live in the next 2 weeks (or put our stuff in storage while we crash with family in Boston). Comparatively, we can take our time finding a daycare/preschool in which to enroll our precocious little girl.

1. Can anyone recommend a specific town/city where there is a range of housing and child care options? Anyone know of a 3-bedroom apartment or house for rent? I know the neighborhoods of Boston, Cambridge and Somerville very well, but I left town a single girl not a mom and wife. (FYI: My husband's new job will be based in Framingham (just beyond R. 128), but I'd like to live closer to Boston (within MBTA subway service), but my office will be at Harvard. We have only 1 car, so we would prefer to live somewhere more urban than suburban, i.e. within MBTA subway service or in walking distance from a commuter rail station.

2. Would anyone share their list of daycares and preschools--regardless of the starting age cutoff? Does anyone know of an opening in a daycare or preschool that takes kids under 3? A starting point for would be much appreciated; I know of only a few people with children who can recommend daycares and preschools, and their information may not be current since their kids are much older than ours. Last but not least, how does the cost of preschools in Cambridge/Somerville compare to brownstone Brooklyn, where a full day program (e.g. 9-2) runs $1000-$2000 depending on the degree to which public subsidies support the program.

Sorry to post such a long set of questions. Clearly I'm overwhelmed. Whatever advice and references you can offer will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Fallon

Fallon Samuels Aidoo
Ph.D. Candidate & Teaching Fellow
Urban, Science & Technology Studies
Harvard University Graduate School of Design
fsamuels at fas.harvard.edu
www.spaceandpolitics.org