[Parentsgroup-list] Difficulty affording healthcare for dependents

spsuch spsuch at gmail.com
Sat Sep 8 19:54:06 EDT 2012

Hi Finn,

I feel the pain. Could you explain this sentence better?

On Sep 7, 2012, at 1:00 PM, Moore Gerety, Finnian wrote:

> One difficulty is that as graduate "students" we are not regarded as
> true employees and hence will have problems getting the benefits
> employees enjoy: from Harvard employee health insurance to state
> entitlements funneled through the employer network (e.g. MassHealth).

In what way is MassHealth funneled through the employer network? My
impression was that one applied for and was granted or not granted
MassHealth coverage outside of any status as a student or employee.
You need to indicate whether you have or are eligible for any other
health insurance but depending on your family income and the cost of
the insurance that you are eligible for (the HUHS plan) your kids may
still be covered by MassHealth.

My impression was also that the care and coverage under MassHeatlh was
very good, but perhaps not if there are more extraordinary medical
needs?

I think it's fair to say that few understand the health insurance
issues from any vantage point that they have not themselves
experienced--it's just too complicated! So, if there is something that
the Harvard Admin should be made aware of, I fully support this sort
of sharing of information with them!

Sara Suchman, HGSE