[Parentsgroup-list] Difficulty affording healthcare for dependents

Moore Gerety, Finnian fmgerety at fas.harvard.edu
Fri Sep 7 13:00:07 EDT 2012

Hello fellow Parents--
I am wondering if anyone else out there can share their experience providing healthcare for their dependents, either by buying into the HUHS plan or some other way. We have struggled to afford the HUHS plan over the years--the cost for a family of four is well over $10,000 per year! Things improved when I signed us up for MassHealth but this has also led to unexpected complications and not always the best access to care. One difficulty is that as graduate "students" we are not regarded as true employees and hence will have problems getting the benefits employees enjoy: from Harvard employee health insurance to state entitlements funneled through the employer network (e.g. MassHealth).
Any feedback and war stories welcome. It may be time organize in order to bring this issue to the attention of the administration…

Yours,
Finn
G6 Dept. South Asian Studies