[Parentsgroup-list] Balance bike?

russel russel at molbio.mgh.harvard.edu
Tue Sep 13 21:51:00 EDT 2011

I would NOT recommend the hobby bike- whcih sounds great- you can add pedals when they are ready but many have a defective gear system ( if not most or all- people only discover the problem a year or so after they buy the bike) and our local bike shop had to drill holes, add screws, and do a lot of work to get it to work.   The manufacturer has been non responses to my inquiries.  Get any LIGHT, small balance bike- the hobby is worst of both worlds-as it was also too tall and heavy for our large three year old- so do pay attention to details about lowest seat hight ect.

good luck.
must say though today my son rode with the pedals  for the first time and it ws amazing to watch.  He's four.  balance bikes are amazing.
sascha, mt to l 4, and n, 21 months
AVOID the Hobby unless you get a cheap used one that already has been successfully used as a pedal bike...

On Sep 13, 2011, at 9:29 PM, Eva Kuhelj wrote:

> Hi all!
>
> We would like to buy a balance bike to our 3 year old daughter.
> Please email me if you would have one for sale,
> or also if you could recommend a particular balance bike brand or type.
>
> Thank you a lot!
> Eva
>
> HLS VR, mom of Kristjan 1y and Ana Marija 3y

Sascha Russel, Ph.D
Lab of Dr. Gary Ruvkun
Harvard University/ Massachusetts General Hospital
Department of Molecular Biology
Richard B. Simches Research Building
7th floor, Room 7700, Bay P3
185 Cambridge Street, CPZN-7250