[Parentsgroup-list] What happens when you are expecting a baby in the middle of the term?

Meredith Quinn quinn at fas.harvard.edu
Fri Aug 26 14:28:19 EDT 2011

Hello everyone,

I'm expecting a baby in early March and, after hunting around on the GSAS
website, I still have lots of questions.  I would normally be TFing in the
spring term, but I assume there is no maternity leave policy for TFs (at
least, I haven't been able to find one).  I do not want to take a Leave of
Absence because my family and I need access to health insurance through UHS
(and I understand that we would lose this if I were on a leave).  I took
part-time status when I gave birth to my first child, returning to classes
after 3 weeks, but this was, in retrospect, completely crazy. I want to give
myself a real maternity leave this time around, even without income.

I'd love to hear what other parents have done in a similar situation.  I
plan to speak with GSAS and departmental administration, but I would also
find it helpful to hear "real-life" experiences from all of you.

Thank you for any help you can provide!

Best wishes,
Meredith Quinn (G4, History)