[Parentsgroup-list] nanny suggestions

Andrea Heberlein heberlein at wjh.harvard.edu
Wed Sep 1 23:45:58 EDT 2010

We found our nanny through Craig's List as well, but did use
nannytaxes.com (i.e. HomeWork Solutions) to take care of tax paperwork
for us (getting an EIN, preparing but not filing paperwork-- you can
pay more $ to have them file as well but that didn't seem worth it,
and filing hasn't been hard once they send you the paperwork).  That
website also has lists of recommended interview questions which we
relied on to construct our own lists.  Not everyone wants to be paid
aboveboard, however, so you'll need to sort that out for yourself.

(We also found a bunch of people (and interviewed several of them)
through care.com and sittercity.com, which have membership fees but do
some pre-screening and background checks.  We just  clicked best with
the person we found via Craig's List.  We'd actually hired someone via
care.com, but stipulated a "trial week" in our contract with her, and
after a week it was very clear to both her and us that it wasn't
working out; just very different styles and expectations, in ways we
didn't know to look for when we were interviewing.  With our second
hire things went very smoothly from the start and it's been great for
the 8 months we've employed her.)

We also checked references by phone and did a CORI (background check)
ourselves; the forms can be downloaded online here: http://www.mass.gov/?pageID=eopsterminal&L=4&L0=Home&L1=Crime+Prevention+%26+Personal+Safety&L2=Background+Check&L3=Criminal+Offender+Record+Information+%28CORI%29&sid=Eeops&b=terminalcontent&f=chsb_cori_forms&csid=Eeops
.

We paid $15/hour (gross, not net) for hours when she was watching one
child, and $20/hour for hours when she was watching two (when our
older child was home from school), which seemed within the ballpark.
Nanny shares make this much more affordable, especially if you have
one child ($20 pre-tax is just $10/kid-hour).  Basically my post-tax
postdoc salary is entirely consumed by our nanny's gross salary, again
including employer tax + benefits (we contribute towards her health
insurance with a monthly lump sum payment, though this is not legally
stipulated).

We found several people interested in nanny shares via Harvard's child
care message board (http://isites.harvard.edu/icb/icb.do?keyword=k13666&pageid=icb.page74982
; log-in may be required), but since it was for just part of a year
and we had the complication of needing older-child pick-up/care, we
ended up going solo.  Our daughter just started daycare this week, but
we had a very positive experience with our nanny and I would
definitely do it again.

Andrea
(postdoc, psychology)