[Parentsgroup-list] childcare

Sebastian Velez svelez at fas.harvard.edu
Tue Nov 9 00:26:59 EST 2010

Following up on Ian's reply, I think you have to be realistic here. You are
asking for a college-educated health-conscious creative non-smoker who is
CPR/FirstAid-certified, better if she is Farsi-speaking person who knows
about child development, goes to your house, knows Cambridge, brings
references and fits your family. And that for 6 hours a week. If she has to
be 'flexible' with her time, that means she can't take other steady work
which might make her 'unflexible'. I have a babysitter that does not qualify
for 1/2 of those standards, and consider myself lucky.

Just a thought.

On Mon, Nov 8, 2010 at 1:50 PM, <mahtab9 at aol.com> wrote:

> I am wondering if anyone has recommendations for a baby sitter or a home
> day care that is flexible and open to 6 hours of care a week.   I am
> looking for a care provider for our 16 month old daughter for 3 hours, 2 days
> a week, from 2:30 -5:30pm.
>
> What are we looking for:
>  We need someone who is experienced and comfortable with taking care of a
> toddler.   Our ideal match is a care provider who has a sincere love of
> children, is energetic and active, who will take our daughter out to the
> library, playgrounds, and play dates and provide opportunities for her to
> socialize with other toddlers.   While at home, we would like her to use
> books, crafts, music and other activities to engage our daughter.  We are
> new to the area, so someone familiar with activities for kids in Cambridge
> would be great.  We would like the person to come to our home.
> Additional qualification:
> · Caring, responsible, energetic and creative
> · reliable and punctual
> · Health conscious, non-smoker
> · Certified in Infant/Child CPR and First Aid (we may be able to assist
> with the cost of certification if needed)
> · Definite plus is to have someone who has knowledge the developmental
> stages of children of this age.
> · College Education or equivalent in life experiences
> · Ability to speak Farsi is a big plus as we are a bi-lingual, and
> bi-cultural  family, but not a requirement.
> · References required
>
> We are open to nanny share or a mom who has a little one close to our
> daughter's age and is looking to take care of another; however, first and
> foremost, we wish to find someone who is a good fit for our family.
>
>  If you have any suggestions and/or interested, please contact me at
> mahtab9 at aol.com
>
> thanks in advance

Sebastián Vélez
Department of Invertebrate Zoology