[Parentsgroup-list] Harvard Child Care Rates

Griffin, April Marie April_Griffin at hms.harvard.edu
Wed May 26 17:05:04 EDT 2010

Rebecca
I have a 4 year old son and I've had him in a family daycare since he was an infant. I understand why some people prefer daycare centers instead of home-based family daycares, but for us it has been a great experience. He has a small little "family" of buddies of all ages, he's great with babies, especially now that he's one of the oldest in the daycare (which has a license for 8 children). Unlike daycare centers, he doesn't change "rooms" or "groups" at certain ages, so when he was learning to crawl and walk he was watching the toddlers practice writing letters and numbers. I plan to keep him there until he starts full time kindergarten next year. There are many local family daycares, and they are "cheap" compared to the daycare centers (I pay $160 a week including all homemade healthy meals-breakfast, lunch, and dinner- and snacks, which is a blessing as a single parent too lazy to always cook the most balanced meals) If you are interested you should contact the office of work/family and talk to Barbara Wolf. She is at 164 Longwood avenue and her phone is 617-432-1615. When I was pregnant she sat down and printed out a list of all daycares by zip code (family and centers) and I proceeded to call down the list and was very lucky to get a spot right when I needed it for him. He is one block from the longwood campus and sometimes I think he loves his daycare provider more than me! (Maybe because she calls him Sir and I call him baby)
Good luck and congratulations!
April
April Marie Griffin
PhD Candidate