[Parentsgroup-list] Herbicide and Fertilizer applied to grounds around Harvard Housing Units

Sebastian Velez svelez at oeb.harvard.edu
Wed May 26 14:27:27 EDT 2010

Hi guys:

I'm a resident of the area and walk with my child and dog around Grant
St. I'm also an Agronomist by training, and worked for 6 years or a
large landscape contractor.

I'm all for less toxic chemicals, but here you are dealing with some
of the most commonly used and probably safest alternatives out there.
SURGE's main ingredient is 2,4-D, which you've probably drank a few
gallons yourself already if you eat anything containing the seeds of
monocot plants (corn, wheat, ect.). It's been used for 40+ years, and
it's registered (=permitted to use) by the EPA in home lawns.

The fertilizer is probably just your standard mix of Nitrogen,
Phosphorus and Potassium (probably based on urea), which is what 100%
of the non-organic produce in the world is grown on. It's probably
been applied to probably 100% of any lawn you've stepped on in your
life. It's not the most environmentally friendly in terms of
production, but it's not dangerous either. The alternative is to use
organic fertilizers, which paradoxically bring more complaints than
non-organic because of their smell. Ask the office of sustainability
about all the bitchin' from the undergrads when they started using
organic fertilizer at The Yard.