[Parentsgroup-list] Herbicide and Fertilizer applied to grounds around Harvard Housing Units

Simone Ispa-Landa ispaland at fas.harvard.edu
Wed May 26 12:51:17 EDT 2010

Dear Harvard Parents --
I live on Grant Street, in HRES Housing... Some of you may, too. I
just wanted to let you know that I recently discovered that, when they
recently did their spring upkeep, they used SURGE Broadleaf Herbicide
for Turf and LEBANON LANDSCAPE fertilizer. (You may see those yellow
signs in the lawns warning us to stay off the lawns around Grant St.
and the DeWolfe Housing Units.)  We e-mailed the Sustainability Office
and contacted HRES to ask if there might be a better alternative --
(see below for copies of the e-mails we sent).  In any case, if you
have any information about better alternatives, are concerned, or
simply want to be in the loop about this problem, please e-mail me at
ispaland at fas.harvard.edu.
Thanks!
Simone

Good morning to all at the Sustainability Office:

Let me join my next door neighbor, Simone Ispa-Land, in raising
concern about the spraying of the lawns close and contiguous with the
open windows of our residences facing onto Grant Street and backing
onto  lawns sprayed last week. We are a quiet, residential
neighborhood, surrounded by lawns where many children and dogs and
their adult parents and partners are constantly at play on the lawns
and in the gardens.

We are very concerned about the spraying of the lawns and, perhaps
gardens. Last week, after the spraying, I went to the Harvard Housing
offices at 8-10 Mount Auburn to speak with them: they supplied us with
the descriptive sheets related to SURGE Broadleaf Herbicide for Turf
and LEBANON LANDSCAPE fertilizer.

The issue is important to all in the neighborhood, Harvard affiliates
and others who walk their children and dogs along the pathways on the
streets and in the passages behind the houses. We enjoy being outside
in this lovely season, but the spraying causes us concern about being
on the lawns and in contact with the residue of the
herbicides/fertilizers.

We look forward to working with The Office of Sustainability so as to
support the health and well-being of all residents in our neighborhood
and others under the care of Harvard Real Estate Services.

With all best regards,

Carol Bankerd
8 Grant Street, #2