[Parentsgroup-list] recommendations for swimming lessons for toddlers (Marcelle Dougan)

easandberg at aol.com easandberg at aol.com
Mon May 24 17:50:13 EDT 2010

We have four kids, all now strong swimmers.? I think that swimming is a critical skill, so even before it was recommended, my older kids went to lots of swim lessons.? They went to lessons?all year from the time they were about 3, and started swimming independently around ages 5-6.? My youngest sons didn't like lessons at our Y (in Newton) so?they took only a couple of sessions, and I worked with?them independently, mostly in the summers.? They too started swimming independently at about age 5.? What made the difference was lots of practice in a short period of time, combined with developmental readiness.? We live close to an outdoor pool, and swim nearly every day in the summer, and that repetition seemed to be much more effective than weekly lessons.? ?I'm interested in hear at what age other children swim independently- I'm sure some kids do swim at younger ages.?