[Parentsgroup-list] recommendations for swimming lessons for toddlers (Marcelle Dougan)

Andrea Heberlein heberlein at wjh.harvard.edu
Mon May 24 11:51:50 EDT 2010

We've been very happy with the swimming lessons at MIT: warm teaching
pool, great staff, good ratio (3-4 kids/instructor-- they sign up 4/
class at the younger (<5 yo) ages but in our experience there is
frequently at least one kid absent on any given week).  They're on
Sunday late afternoon through early afternoon.  But they're expensive
for non-members (ca $90 for 8 weeks of 25-min classes); membership is
pricey unless you have some form of MIT affiliation.  Our 5-year-old
has been going for about 2 years, on and off, and we've been happy
with his progress.  They also have parent-infant classes for babies
and toddlers, which we're planning to start soon with our younger child.

Friends have been happy with the classes at the Y in Central Square as
well, but those meet too early for us on Saturday mornings.

We found the MAC pool to be waaay too cold for our kid-- went once
(for family swim, not a class) and at age 2.5 he clung shivering to
one of us the entire time we were in the water.

Andrea