[Parentsgroup-list] Information from Garth McCavana re: graduation tickets

Hanna Siurua siurua at gmail.com
Mon Mar 29 16:49:50 EDT 2010

Here are some details, based on our experience at last year's commencement:

Children who walk across the stage with their graduating parent are only
brought into the auditorium when it's the turn of the parent's department to
receive diplomas. The rest of the time the kids spend in a waiting area in
the basement (with live, though probably silent, broadcast of the ceremony),
and they must be accompanied by another adult (the graduating parent sits in
the auditorium). Neither the kids nor the accompanying adult need a ticket,
and the accompanying adult, who brings the child up to the edge of the stage
to hand him/her over to the graduating parent, gets to see the actual
awarding of the diploma before crossing backstage to collect the child on
the other side of the stage. So basically you can bring in your child(ren)
and spouse etc. for the relevant part of the ceremony without tickets, in
addition to having two ticket-holding family members in the audience. Of
course, the price is spending a lot of time waiting in the basement, but at
least there kids can run around a bit while they wait, which they obviously
couldn't in the main auditorium.

Hanna