[Parentsgroup-list] Day care scholarship program ending

Sebastian Velez svelez at oeb.harvard.edu
Tue Mar 2 13:49:00 EST 2010

Well, that's what I meant by lack of clarity/transparency. From the
written guidelines, it said that you needed to have the contract
before you could apply. So I checked the prices of Harvard day care
centers and quickly realized the program was not for me. From your
experience, it seems that you made it work by negotiating, but I know
of many parents like myself, who did not even submit an application
because of the risk of getting stuck with contract larger than our
stipends.

Of course I support any program to help parents. But make it clear who
can and cannot apply, how it works in practice, and allow us to put
our children in the kind of cheap daycare centers that we can afford
to pay if the scholarship stops, and were we don't have to be on a
waiting list competing with Harvard professors.

Harvard already has a program like this for its staff, and it works very well.

I also support the idea that the scholarship should be for established
daycare centers, ie not nannies.