[Parentsgroup-list] How to prepare a toddler for an upcoming move?

HHF hedgehogandfox at gmail.com
Fri Jul 2 15:38:27 EDT 2010

We moved from San Fran to Boston in Dec. (kids were 3 and 14 months). One
thing they enjoyed was being given boxes and packing up some of their toys,
and scribbling on the boxes or decorating them,  then at the other end they
open the boxes.
Also a parent preparing a toy area in the new place so things are 80% set up
for the kid and he sees all his familiar things at once and can add to them
by opening the boxes packed back in the old place.

We made sure we didn't pack their stuff in front of them, it was upsetting.
In fact the day the movers came one of us took the kids out the whole time
the movers were there, and they came back to an empty house but with a new
toy waiting for them all wrapped up, and dozens of balloons flying around.
Sometime crazy and fun that made them not remember the stuff no longer
there.

Good luck!