[Parentsgroup-list] Suggestion on pediatric dentist

Susannah Rose rose at fas.harvard.edu
Fri Jan 22 11:36:45 EST 2010

Jieping,

My daughter is now 5, and now use the "The Center for Pediatric Dental Care" in
Brookline -- Dr. Weiss is the head of the practice, and we see Dr. Barton. This
practice came highly recommended by close friends of ours, and we took my
daughter for the first time last year (she has her next appointment in a couple
weeks).

Here is the website: http://www.pediatricdentalcare.com/

In our experience, this is the best peds dental practice I could ever imagine.
Honestly. Our daughter cannot wait to go back! She loves going there -- they
really know how to make children feel happy and comfortable, and seemed to
motivate my daughter to take good care of her teeth (she brushes, flosses and
uses age-appropriate mouthwash). Dr. Barton was incredible with her. The
practice even took a photo of my daughter and Dr. Barton together, which she
keeps in her bedroom (is this too good to be true?)

Drawback -- it is in Brookline (but not far, at all, from Cambridge and has
available street parking). I have to pay about $80 for the annual check-up (I
do not think that Harvard's student dental plan covers it). For me, the cost is
worth every penny, given that she has such a positive attitude toward dental
self-care and seeing the dentist.

Another option, which I think is in the Harvard student dental plan, is the
pediatric dental service as Children's Hospital. I took my daughter there for
her first dental appointment about two years ago, and it was very good. Clean,
nice, thorough. I would definitely suggest this option, if you want to stay
within the dental plan network. Plus, the Harvard M2 shuttle goes directly from
Cambridge to the Longwood Campus, about a block away from the Children's
Hospital (free for students and a young child in-tow).

Hope this helps!
Susannah (GSAS Student Parents Group, Chair)

Susannah Rose, MS, MSW
PhD Candidate, Health Policy Program
Harvard University
rose at fas.harvard.edu