[Parentsgroup-list] Are you interested in your child participating in a study on stressful life events?

Manuel Sprung msprung at wjh.harvard.edu
Fri Feb 5 16:58:43 EST 2010

Dear parents,

I am the very proud father of a 1 year old daughter and I am also child
psychologist working in the Department of Psychology at Harvard University.
I am writing to inquire if you might be interested for your
to participant in a research study I am conducting. I have previously worked
with children who were affected by the Hurricane Katrina disaster, and also
with children from schools in the greater Boston area. My current study aims
to improve our understanding of how young children think and feel about
stressful life events, including major negative life events such as a
medical illness, injury, accident, or loss of a loved one, as well as other
stressful life events, such as moving cities, birth of a sibling, parental
separation. You may think that discussion of stressful life events should be
avoided. However, research shows that if anything it can be beneficial for
children to talk about their experiences. We will also compare children who
did experience major stressful life events with a control group of children
who did not experience any major stressful life events. I should emphasize
that children who participated in my earlier research generally found their
experience interesting and enjoyable.

Thus, I invite you and your child to participate even if your child never
experienced any major stressful life events. Participation will involve two
interviews, each about 45 minutes long. The interviews can take place at
your child's school, at our offices at Harvard, or in your home. During
interviews children will play games, listen to stories, and will be asked
questions about how they think and feel about stressful life events. After
each interview children will receive a small prize as a token of
appreciation for their participation.

If your child is between the age of 5 and 13, and you would like to hear
more about the study, please contact me by e-mail (msprung at wjh.harvard.edu)
or phone (617-495-3746). Thank you very much for your consideration. I hope
to hear from you.

Warm regards,

Manuel Sprung

--