[Parentsgroup-list] Family health insurance advice

Alison Denton Jones adjones at fas.harvard.edu
Wed May 13 12:24:13 EDT 2009

Dear Elizabeth,

Although it may be different for mid-career MA students (and you don't
specify which of the grad schools you will be at, which may also
matter), in general all grad students enrolled at Harvard and taking
classes are required to enroll in the Harvard University Student Health
Plan. This has two parts, one for care received through the Harvard
Health Services. You can't get out of that if you are an enrolled
student. The other part, a Blue Cross Blue Shield plan, is supplemental.
You can waive that if you provide proof of equivalent health care
coverage. However, since you can't waive the first part, you'd be paying
for both the required Harvard part and private insurance that overlapped
a lot. Given this, it is probably best to go with both parts of the
Harvard package, which although a little expensive, have very extensive
coverage with few to no additional co-pays or fees.

The most up-to-date description of the plan is here:
http://huhs.harvard.edu/assets/File/General-Info/InsBrochure_OnlineVersion_4-08-09.pdf

Last year's info which gives more detail on waiving insurance is here:
http://huhs.harvard.edu/Insurance/Students.aspx

However, you should check with the Member Services (Insurance)
617-495-2008 people at the Harvard Health Services to find out exactly
what your options and requirements are. It may differ depending on the
school and program (but I don't think so).

Hope this is helpful!
-alison

On 5/13/2009 12:00 PM, parentsgroup-list-request at lists.hcs.harvard.edu