[Parentsgroup-list] Piano for kids

Kara Swanson kswanson at fas.harvard.edu
Thu May 7 09:01:56 EDT 2009

Dear Alexander et al,

If your child is old enough to consider the piano, the New School of
Music (off Mt Auburn right by the hospital) has group starter classes
for little kids, a good way to make piano playing social, and to cut the
cost of private lessons. (http://www.cambridgemusic.org/) My older
daughter tried in 1st grade, liked it, didn't transition well to private
lessons, and then took a break from formal lessons. In 5th grade she
started again, is an avid musician (woodwinds) and off to her second
summer of sleep-away music camp. My younger daughter started private
lessons (cello) in first grade, has loved it and stuck with it. (We LOVE
the cello instructor at the New School). I think it very much varies by
the kid. One rule of thumb we were told is to wait until they can read
before formal lessons.

Have fun! We sure like having our house full of music.

Cheers,

Kara

Kara W. Swanson, B.S., M.A., J.D.
kswanson at fas.harvard.edu

Raoul Berger – Mark DeWolfe Howe Legal History Fellow
Harvard Law School
Cambridge, MA 02138

Ph.D. Candidate, History of Science
Harvard University