[Parentsgroup-list] Musical education for kids

Manjari C. Miller mchatter at fas.harvard.edu
Tue May 5 14:47:19 EDT 2009

we were looking into this too for our 2.5 year old who is very interested in
music and instruments. We were told by a musician friend who teaches kids that:

1. for piano you need a certain hand span--which kids don't have till 5 or 6.
sometimes even later.

2. Piano is a lonely instrument--in the sense that little kids learn better in
groups/bands etc and piano is something that is taught alone and played alone
until much much later.

3. Given 1 and 2, start the kid off on a violin--which they can start at 3 or
4, is a more "social instrument" and lends itself to less frustration.

4. You can take or dismiss all of 1-3 if you take individual experiences--my
husband's whole family is very musical, my husband did not take well to violin
lessons (spent his time drumming his heels into the floor), did much better on
the piano and now plays piano and guitar.

I think is, depending on the kid's age, try violin first (with due apologies to
your mom).

Best,
Manjari