[Parentsgroup-list] Re: Babysitting Coop

Misty Ojure misty.ojure at gmail.com
Mon Mar 30 09:41:25 EDT 2009


Ian & Others--
Sorry it has taken so long to respond to your query about babysitting
coops.  A friend of mine and I are interested in doing a similar, more
informal thing.  I'll post here what I recently posted on another
listserv:

We'd love to propose that 3 couples (and their babes) get together to
have an informal 'play time/hang out' for an hour or two, and one of
the three couples could have a date while the other 2 couples watched
all three kiddos. (This sounds like one of those elementary school
math word problems...) I've know we've tried organizing  more formal
childcare/playgroups in the past and it hasn't worked, because
people's schedules have been nightmarish (mine, mostly). But I thought
doing a smaller thing with 3 couples might help mitigate scheduling
conflicts, allow the adults to have bond or have a date, and give our
kiddos some social time. Are there others who'd like to try this
sometime in the next couple of weeks?

Also, Ian, if you are interested in something more formal, check out
Kids Coop Cambridge.  They have a link on their website with all the
paperwork they used to establish their coop, and they openly invite
others to use it as a template to start their own coop.

So, yes, we'd be interested in a coop-type-thing.  You can email me
personally if you want to discuss:  misty.ojure at gmail.com

Misty
M.T.S. '10
Harvard Divinity School

On Tue, Mar 24, 2009 at 12:15 PM,
<parentsgroup-list-request at lists.hcs.harvard.edu> wrote:
> Send Parentsgroup-list mailing list submissions to
>        parentsgroup-list at lists.hcs.harvard.edu
>
> To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
>        http://lists.hcs.harvard.edu/mailman/listinfo/parentsgroup-list
> or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
>        parentsgroup-list-request at lists.hcs.harvard.edu
>
> You can reach the person managing the list at
>        parentsgroup-list-owner at lists.hcs.harvard.edu
>
> When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
> than "Re: Contents of Parentsgroup-list digest..."
>
>
> Today's Parentsgroup Digest:
>
> Today's Topics:
>
>   1. Vaccinating your child at the Cambridge Hospital
>      (Ayfer Karakaya Stump)
>   2. Re: Vaccinating your child at the Cambridge       Hospital
>      (Candice M. Etson)
>   3. Re: Vaccinating your child at the Cambridge       Hospital (Dan Hyde)
>   4. Babysitting cooperatives (Ian Stokes-Rees)
>
>
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> Message: 1
> Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2009 15:20:01 -0500
> From: Ayfer Karakaya Stump <stump at fas.harvard.edu>
> Subject: [Parentsgroup-list] Vaccinating your child at the Cambridge
>        Hospital
> To: stump at fas.harvard.edu
> Cc: Parentsgroup-list at lists.hcs.harvard.edu
> Message-ID: <49C7EEF1.1070705 at fas.harvard.edu>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed
>
>
> Dear List Member,
>
> In a about a week my baby is scheduled for her two-month visit and first
> round of vaccines at the Cambridge Hospital Pediatrics. I am planning to
> request the doctor to use Thimerosal (mercury)-free vaccines and to do
> no more than one vaccine per doctor's visit, and possibly even implement
> an alternative schedule to the CDC's current schedule. Does any one of
> you have an idea as to how open Cambridge Hospital pediatricians
> --especially Dr. Glotzer-- are to such requests? Also, at what point
> should I inform them about my preference for a Thimerosal (mercury)-free
> vaccine? Before the visit or during the visit?
>
> Many thanks in advance,
>
> Ayfer Karakaya-Stump
> History/Middle Eastern Studies
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 2
> Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2009 16:56:19 -0400
> From: "Candice M. Etson" <etson at fas.harvard.edu>
> Subject: Re: [Parentsgroup-list] Vaccinating your child at the
>        Cambridge       Hospital
> To: Ayfer Karakaya Stump <stump at fas.harvard.edu>
> Cc: Parentsgroup-list at lists.hcs.harvard.edu
> Message-ID: <1237841779.49c7f7735e9c0 at webmail.fas.harvard.edu>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1
>
> No vaccines for children under age six contain thimerosol as a preservative
> anymore. The only exception I am aware of is the influenza vaccine. So it will
> not be neccessary to notify them of your preference with regard to that. For
> more information, I suggest you visit the FDA website on the topic:
>
> http://www.fda.gov/CBER/vaccine/thimerosal.htm
>
> Candice Etson
> Biophysics
>
> Quoting Ayfer Karakaya Stump <stump at fas.harvard.edu>:
>
>>
>> Dear List Member,
>>
>> In a about a week my baby is scheduled for her two-month visit and first
>> round of vaccines at the Cambridge Hospital Pediatrics. I am planning to
>> request the doctor to use Thimerosal (mercury)-free vaccines and to do
>> no more than one vaccine per doctor's visit, and possibly even implement
>> an alternative schedule to the CDC's current schedule. Does any one of
>> you have an idea as to how open Cambridge Hospital pediatricians
>> --especially Dr. Glotzer-- are to such requests? Also, at what point
>> should I inform them about my preference for a Thimerosal (mercury)-free
>> vaccine? Before the visit or during the visit?
>>
>> Many thanks in advance,
>>
>> Ayfer Karakaya-Stump
>> History/Middle Eastern Studies
>> _______________________________________________
>> Parentsgroup-list mailing list
>> Parentsgroup-list at lists.hcs.harvard.edu
>> http://lists.hcs.harvard.edu/mailman/listinfo/parentsgroup-list
>>
>
>
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 3
> Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2009 18:25:04 -0400
> From: Dan Hyde <dchyde at fas.harvard.edu>
> Subject: Re: [Parentsgroup-list] Vaccinating your child at the
>        Cambridge       Hospital
> To: "Candice M. Etson" <etson at fas.harvard.edu>
> Cc: Parentsgroup-list at lists.hcs.harvard.edu
> Message-ID:
>        <d3b28b020903231525v4031cd19g41185e4e42b8c086 at mail.gmail.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1
>
> Hi,
>
> My two kids see Dr. Glotzer.  She was pretty abrupt when we asked such
> questions about vaccinations and immediately took a defensive stance
> on them.  Our kids starting seeing her as toddlers and so I don't know
> what her opinion would be about an alternative vaccination schedule
> for an infant.  However, I would be ready for some initial resistance.
>
> I should note that she has been very willing to work with us on other
> matters.  This was the first instance where she surprised me.
>
> Good luck,
>
> Dan
>
> On Mon, Mar 23, 2009 at 4:56 PM, Candice M. Etson <etson at fas.harvard.edu> wrote:
>> No vaccines for children under age six contain thimerosol as a preservative
>> anymore. The only exception I am aware of is the influenza vaccine. So it will
>> not be neccessary to notify them of your preference with regard to that. For
>> more information, I suggest you visit the FDA website on the topic:
>>
>> http://www.fda.gov/CBER/vaccine/thimerosal.htm
>>
>> Candice Etson
>> Biophysics
>>
>> Quoting Ayfer Karakaya Stump <stump at fas.harvard.edu>:
>>
>>>
>>> Dear List Member,
>>>
>>> In a about a week my baby is scheduled for her two-month visit and first
>>> round of vaccines at the Cambridge Hospital Pediatrics. I am planning to
>>> request the doctor to use Thimerosal (mercury)-free vaccines and to do
>>> no more than one vaccine per doctor's visit, and possibly even implement
>>> an alternative schedule to the CDC's current schedule. Does any one of
>>> you have an idea as to how open Cambridge Hospital pediatricians
>>> --especially Dr. Glotzer-- are to such requests? Also, at what point
>>> should I inform them about my preference for a Thimerosal (mercury)-free
>>> vaccine? Before the visit or during the visit?
>>>
>>> Many thanks in advance,
>>>
>>> Ayfer Karakaya-Stump
>>> History/Middle Eastern Studies
>>> _______________________________________________
>>> Parentsgroup-list mailing list
>>> Parentsgroup-list at lists.hcs.harvard.edu
>>> http://lists.hcs.harvard.edu/mailman/listinfo/parentsgroup-list
>>>
>>
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> Parentsgroup-list mailing list
>> Parentsgroup-list at lists.hcs.harvard.edu
>> http://lists.hcs.harvard.edu/mailman/listinfo/parentsgroup-list
>>
>>
>
>
>
> --
> Daniel C. Hyde
> Laboratory for Developmental Studies
> Harvard University
> 1120 William James Hall
> 33 Kirkland Street
> Cambridge, MA  02138
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 4
> Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2009 00:06:59 -0400
> From: Ian Stokes-Rees <ijstokes at alumni.uwaterloo.ca>
> Subject: [Parentsgroup-list] Babysitting cooperatives
> Cc: "parentsgroup-list at lists.hcs.harvard.edu"
>        <parentsgroup-list at lists.hcs.harvard.edu>
> Message-ID: <49C85C63.6090604 at alumni.uwaterloo.ca>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed
>
> Does anyone have any experience with babysitting cooperatives (for
> occasional babysitting, such as evenings or weekends)?  I heard there
> was an active group in Cambridge.
>
> I live in Brookline and would like to be involved in one, or if nothing
> exists, consider starting something.  Are there other interested parents
> who would want to participate?
>
> Anyone with experience, good or bad?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Ian
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> _______________________________________________
> Parentsgroup-list mailing list
> Parentsgroup-list at lists.hcs.harvard.edu
> http://lists.hcs.harvard.edu/mailman/listinfo/parentsgroup-list
>
>
> End of Parentsgroup-list Digest, Vol 449, Issue 1
> *************************************************
>


More information about the Parentsgroup-list mailing list