[Parentsgroup-list] RE: Parentsgroup-list] anti-breastfeeding article in the AtlanticMonthly

Sebastian Velez svelez at oeb.harvard.edu
Fri Mar 20 10:13:31 EDT 2009

Dear all:

Here's the father and evolutionary biologist adding data to the mix:

I completely formula-fed my second daughter, so that her mother could work.
At the time, I wish she had breastfed, but she would rather do other things.
Besides, my wife comes from a very poor background where formula, hospitals
and anesthetics are a luxury, and  babies die when the mother cannot produce
enough milk, a C-section is necessary, or from simple complications while
giving birth at home. We watch with amazement the whole debate about home
births, going without pain medicine, and breastfeeding and cleaning cloth
diapers when the mother could be working and enjoying life. I also run a
project in Haiti where we have women dying all the time because of
complications when giving birth and see malnourished babies with women who
just don't produce enough. Asking these women if they'd like to give birth
in a hospital, with anesthetics, and later have the option of formula and
disposable diapers would be an insult. Of course they would.

Anyhow, here's some more data for the discussion: there something called
parent-offspring conflict in evolutionary biology. Actually, one of its most
prominent researchers is here at Harvard and last year I taught a class with
him on Vertebrate Viviparity (the evolution or live birth in animals with
backbones). There is a lot of evidence for the existence of conflicts
between the interest of babies and that of their mothers, and between the
genes of the father and the genes of the mother. For example, a fetus will
try to extract the largest amount of sugar from the mother's blood by
manipulating insulin levels, while mothers will counter that with their own
insulin surge which the baby then again counteracts with
anti-mother's-insulin enzymes. It is to the baby's advantage to be the
strongest baby possible, while it is to the mother's advantage to survive
the whole thing and be healthy enough to have more babies later. In other
words, your baby is literally trying to suck the life out of you. On the
other hand, the father's genes will want the baby to extract as much as
possible from the mother, while the mother's genes want a baby with little
needs/extraction urge. You can see the clear evidence of this with some
genetic defects in which either some of the father's or mother's genes are
inactivated: you either get a baby that does not sleep and totally consumes
the mother, or a baby that sleeps all the time, does not cry and makes
little physiological demands on the mother to his own expense. Guess which
sets of genes (mother or father) get inactivated in each case.

Don't confuse how things are (science) with what they ought to be (ethics).
We don't live in the African savanna during the early Pleistocene, and
there's no reason to behave like it. My purpose in life is not to have as
many progeny as possible or to wait and see what natural selection would
have done to my children 100,000 years ago. I don't trust industry one bit
to care for my children or do anything else than to make a profit, and I
look at formula and all baby products with deep suspicion. But aguments of
things being more "natural" don't go too far with me either. The human body
is the best argument against intelligent design.

All the best,

Sebastian

2009/3/20 Michal Herzfeld <mherzfeld at law.harvard.edu>

>  Michelle,
> Thank you so much for your post.  It was pretty much exactly what I wanted
> to say, but in a much nicer tone than I would have been able to manage.  =
You
> can't overestimate the power of the combination of post-delivery hormones,
> lack of sleep, and the sudden discovery that one just doesn't produce eno=
ugh
> milk for one's child.  People make it seem like the single most important
> thing a mother can do for her child is to breastfeed, and to find out
> that one can't makes one feel like an utter failure, less of a woman, and=
 an
> unfit mother.  Hearing phrases like "you're doing worse when you give
> formula" simply reinforces that.
> I realize this debate centers around the choice to give formula rather th=
an
> giving formula out of necessity, but I wanted to give some voice to the
> minority of women whose children would simply starve without formula.  For
> those who find themselves judging parents who give formula: next time you
> see a woman or man feeding a child formula, try to tell yourself that
> formula feeding is their decision, and a perfectly acceptable one.  But if
> you can't bring yourself to believe that, just think that perhaps the chi=
ld
> is only alive because of the miracle of formula.
> Michal

-- =

Sebasti=E1n V=E9lez
Museum of Comparative Zoology