[Parentsgroup-list] Advice about public schools and neighbourhoods in Somerville - moving from Ottawa to Boston next year

Elizabeth Muggah emuggah at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 19 21:14:17 EDT 2009

Hello parents! =

My husband and I and our two children (age 4 and 6 years) will be moving fr=
om Ottawa, Canada, to Boston this summer as each of us will be completing a=
 one year mid career masters at Harvard in 2009-2010. Our kids will be in K=
indergarden 2 and Grade 2 next year. We are looking forward to a great year=
.  =

I am hoping you can help me with a bit of advice. We are looking to live in=
 Somerville -  one of the main reasons for this is that the lottery system =
in the public school system in Cambridge seems to makes it impossible for u=
s as renters who will register late to predict what school our kids will ge=
t into. =

We have found two apartments which look good to us as outsiders in terms of=
 the "family-friendliness" of the neighbourhood. The first apartment is up =
the street form the JF Kennedy public school and a short walk to Benjamin B=
rown school. The second is near Washington St/Beacon St or Kirkland Village=
 (the latter may just be real estate lingo but that is what the map says) a=
nd the local school is Lincoln Park school. We have heard good things about=
 JFK and BBrown school but know that the reputation of Lincoln Park school =
isn't so good, although the facility is apparently lovely. =

We are really wanting to walk our kids to school and move to a friendly nei=
ghbourhood where the kids can play outside and meet other children, use the=
ir bikes etc.

Your advice about the above would be appreciated, particularly as it concer=
ns Lincoln School. My concerns about the school are less about the acadmic =
rigor, as they will be there only one year, but I want them to be happy at =
the school. =

Thank-you in advance for all of your insider opinions. =

Cheers, =

Liz Muggah

Experience all of the new features, and Reconnect with your life.
http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=3D9650730