[Parentsgroup-list] anti-breastfeeding article in the Atlantic Monthly

Joy Geren joygeren at gmail.com
Mon Mar 16 16:16:21 EDT 2009

Excuse me "We know" should be "Most people know" but believe it or not there
are a whole lot of idiots who don't know the basics of safely feeding an
infant. Or people who are intelligent in other ways but think that
straight cow's milk is an acceptable substitute for human milk. Ever talked
to a state social worker? I'm the daughter of a learning disabled mechanic
who squeaked through high school so please don't start talking elitist. If
you note I said that the lactation consultant I paid $200 (out of my
stipend, my husband and I were both students) was NOT helpful. La Leche
League provides FREE help to everyone willing to pick up the phone or come
to a meeting.

I will not deny that it could be harder for women with fewer resources to
deal with nursing problems, but many women do not have major problems
nursing if they are encouraged to try it (I wasn't one of them but I have
met many). Also, my own newborns were both on MassHealth and I can say that
the free medical care we received was excellent. Now since you clearly don't
want me to attribute failure to seek medical treatment to class (income or
education) I don't see any problem here.
I spend my time caring for my two kids, my terminally ill mother, my
disabled father and trying to graduate. My only free time is spent at La
Leche League and I strongly believe that we should support mothers but I
certainly don't drag anyone to the meetings. And thank you for pointing out
that some mothers "know better" than to push babies to finish a bottle. I
prefer to think that it was a natural tendency and not that I was stupid in
trying to get the baby to finish that milk I worked so hard to pump. It is a
lot easier when I am nursing because I know nothing will be wasted.

On Mon, Mar 16, 2009 at 12:48 PM, <bagneris at fas.harvard.edu> wrote:

> [...]
le
> >    3. I am forced to sit down and snuggle frequently with my wonderful
> >    little one
> >    4. I can eat as much as I want
> >    5. I don=92t have to worry about the next dangerous toxin they find =
in
> >    bottles/formula containers or our water
> >    6. I have a really easy way to calm my toddler when he or she gets
> into
> >    that tired out of control state
> >    7. I don=92t have to plan ahead and take snacks/bottles/meals along =
for
> my
> >    baby, the food is always made and at temperature as needed
> >    8. I don=92t have to worry about pregnancy for a couple of years aft=
er I
> >    have a child (and yes, I realize that this is certainly not true for
> all
> >    nursing moms)
> >    9. I won=92t say that breastmilk diapers smell delicious but they su=
re
> beat
> >    formula/solid diapers
> >    10. I have to spend a lot of time with my baby. No one else can feed
> her
>  >    so I have a great excuse to be near even when a million other things
> > demand
> >    my attention
> >

> > I certainly have nothing against moms who end up formula feeding. In fa=
ct
> > often feel that I nurse for my own convenience. Pumping especially isn=
=92t
> fun
> > (I did that for 18 months with my first) and some women decide that
> nursing
> > is just not worth it in their situation and only they can look at their
> > families needs and make that decision. But at the same time I think that
> we
> > need to continue to promote nursing because as the article says those w=
ho
> > are least likely to nurse now are those whose children could stand to
> > benefit from it the most. We know to properly mix formula, to carefully
> > clean bottles, to take care about what water we use for young infants,
> and
> > not to substitute something cheaper, like regular cow=92s milk for form=
ula,
> > but less educated people sometimes make these mistakes. And I firmly
> believe
> > that nursing can make parenting easier, a bonus for women with limited
> funds
> > or knowledge to sink into the cause.
> >

> > Kudos to all parents who survive grad school and parenting!
> >

> > Best,
> >
> > Joy  (mom to Toby, nursed for 2.5 years, and Della 10 months and 23lbs =
of
> > breastfed beauty cause she won=92t take solids yet)

-- =