[Parentsgroup-list] anti-breastfeeding article in the Atlantic Monthly

bagneris at fas.harvard.edu bagneris at fas.harvard.edu
Mon Mar 16 15:48:15 EDT 2009

Knowing that "We know" in the previous post was not possibly meant to sound as
elitist as it might have come off as via e-mail, I am still going to point out
that "less educated people" are also less likely to have access to lactation
consultants (or to use them) or other breastfeeding support (let alone to be
able to afford anything in Isis Maternity!) or to adequate pediatric healthcare
to insure newborn's growth in the important early weeks (the ped and/or l.c.
weighed my kiddo at least once a week and usually more often because she wasn't
gaining appropriately for the first two months) and that children of low-income
women are much more likely to be low birth weight to begin with.  Also, being
poor doesn't mean you are too stupid to know that a baby bottle should be clean
(my grandmother who raised 5 kids in the projects still gives me what-for for
not sterilizing the darn things).  And some bottle-feeding mothers know better
than to push finish a bottle (besides, boob, bottle, or solid, you can't make
my baby eat if she doesn't want to and I think that's great if not always
convenient).  I re-iterate that I still STRONGLY support bfing, especially as
an economical alternative and a great way to parent (of course you can still
cuddle and even skin-to-skin with a bottle).  I still think all mothers,
including and especially low-income ones, should be encouraged to breastfeed
their babies, for a lot of women and their chidlren breastfeeding has just as
many cons and pros.  I just don't see this issue as the place for drawing the
line in the mommy-wars.