[Parentsgroup-list] anti-breastfeeding article in the AtlanticMonthly

bagneris at fas.harvard.edu bagneris at fas.harvard.edu
Mon Mar 16 15:23:34 EDT 2009

I also enjoyed the article in the New Yorker (especially given that I was, at
the time, chained to my breastpump) and I found Lepore's attention to race and
class thoughtful and important.  In my view, the Atlantic article did pay some
attention to class, though, by admittedly considering a very particular subset
of moms who are under enormous social pressure to breastfeed and who happen to
be overwhelmingly white, well-educated, and pretty well-off...hmmm, I wonder if
my  breastfeeding failure can be attributed to the fact that, as a black woman
raising two kids on a graduate student stipend (and my partner's average
income), I am only one of the three. Rosin also mentions the absurdity of women
who are bus drivers or waitresses demanding spa-like places to pump, etc.  It
was a three page article in a popular journal, not a dissertation.

Also, I don't think it's entirely accurate to call either of the articles pro-
or anti- breastfeeding.  Lepore's article, which many might see as more
pro-bfing (if anti-pump) left me feeling like I'd been duped in deciding to
pump for 5 months...but for me, nursing was not an alternative, making it,
effectively an anti-breastmilk article, whereas, I found that even after
reading Rosin who's article I found realistic, I'm still pro-breastfeeding and
will try again when baby #3 comes along (after the dissertation!!!).

Mia