[Parentsgroup-list] having a baby at BWH

Kontos, Emily Zobel Emily_Kontos at DFCI.HARVARD.EDU
Sun Mar 15 13:19:42 EDT 2009

Yes the policy is STRICT! I delivered in the evening and my sister and
father were downstairs and were not allowed to see us, we knew this
going in but I wanted to test the policy. However you can assign up to
three people as your birthing help- they give you these forms in the
welcome packet. These people are granted free access where ever and
when ever. I signed for my husband and my mother. That way my mom was
able to be in the labor room for a bit before she chose to bow out,
waited in the hall a bit then when she heard my daughter cry and came
back in, held her etc. Same goes for the recovery room. I LOVED my
experience at BWH. My nurse stayed with me even after her shift ended
to see me through. She also was a great advocate for me during the
whole process to make certain my requests were being met.

Hope this helps,
Emily

Emily Z. Kontos, ScM
Harvard School of Public Health