[Parentsgroup-list] Re: Parentsgroup-list [G-Diapers]

Alison Denton Jones adjones at fas.harvard.edu
Mon Mar 9 12:05:42 EDT 2009

I haven't used G-diapers myself but thought they sounded cool. A friend
had this to say about them, though. He started trying to use them but
gave up. I've also heard from a different friend that "blowouts" are
more of a problem.

I'm still considering it, for the environmental reasons, but not sure it
is worth the extra price and hassle.

good luck, if you try them, I'd be interested to know how you find it.

-alison

"I think the problem for us was one of commitment on our part and the
fact that she is with either grandparents or a daycare provider for
large stretches of time during the week.  It is one thing to decide that
you are going to do this and another to ask your daycare provider or
parents to do it as it is a little messy if you are flushing them as we
tried to do.  Also, it was less convenient for the times when we left
the house.  Finally, there was a greater incidence of blow outs that in
the disposable diapers.   So I guess it came down to a matter of
convenience and consistency vs. doing better by the world.  It felt
wrong to give up and we have been using them occasionally but she is now
too big for them.

The other problem is one of sizing.  When our baby was first born, she
really wasn't big enough to get a tight fit so we used disposables while
she gained weight.  Unfortunately that gives you a very good sense of
how convenient it is to use the disposable and neither my wife nor I
ever became fully committed to the g-diaper."

Alison Denton Jones	adjones at fas.harvard.edu
Harvard University Sociology PhD Candidate
609 William James Hall	617-496-3846
33 Kirkland St.		Cambridge, MA 02138