[Parentsgroup-list] vitamins

Marna Costanzo mcostanz at fas.harvard.edu
Fri Jun 26 15:23:22 EDT 2009

Hi Maryann,

Prenatal vitamins have more folic acid (which is of course very important to
prevent birth defects) and more iron (because pregnant women tend to become
anemic as their blood volume expands).  I believe the iron may be associated
with some increased nausea when you take the vitamin.  Aside from that, I
don't know.  Personally I would err on the side of the prenatal vitamin -
you can keep on taking them while you're nursing if you end up having to get
a large bottle.

Marna