[Parentsgroup-list] Dr. Susan Holzman-HUHS

Irene Newton irene.newton at gmail.com
Thu Jul 16 13:23:13 EDT 2009

Hi everyone,

Thank you so much Maryann for bringing this to everyone's attention.  We
also had Dr. Holzman for a short time while at Harvard and were
extraordinarily upset by her inattentiveness and her dismissal of our
wishes.  Our son was properly diagnosed with enlarged adenoids at MIT
medical while Dr. Holzman considered his extent of
sickness/allergies/trouble breathing as just part of being in daycare.  It's
also true that our son never warmed to her.   Thankfully, we moved him to my
husband's insurance and have had excellent care ever since.

-Irene Newton

On Thu, Jul 16, 2009 at 1:19 PM, Maryann Shenoda
<mshenoda at fas.harvard.edu>wrote:

> Dear parents,
>
> I am writing to let you all know about our experience with Dr. Susan
> Holzman today at HUHS (Holyoke).  Dr. Holzman has been very
> inattentive to our son since the day he was born.  She is not a very
> good listener and has nearly given him the wrong shots several times
> in the past.  In one case, she simply brought one too many shots to
> give our son.  However, today we took him for his 15 month visit and
> she gave him the wrong shot.  For some reason she had given him the
> MMR shot at his 12 month visit and today she did not consult his
> record and assumed that he should just get the MMR.  He was not
> scheduled for another MMR until 4.5 years or so.  She did not realize
> her mistake until we looked at the record and brought it to her
> attention, at which point she admitted that she had not looked at his
> record and made assumptions about what he should get at this visit.
>
> I am emailing this message because I want the parents on this list to
> know about this negligence.  In our case, it will not be damaging--at
> least that is what other pediatricians (whom we actually trust) have
> told us.  But it is very unsettling to think that a doctor is that
> inattentive and that negligent that she does not even do the basics of
> referring to the patient's chart.  Needless to say, this has caused us
> to look for another doctor and file a complaint.
>
> peace,
> Maryann

Irene L.G. Newton
Postdoctoral Fellow
Tufts University - Microbiology Department
Jaharis 424
136 Harrison Ave.
Boston, MA 02111