[Parentsgroup-list] Dr. Susan Holzman-HUHS

Maryann Shenoda mshenoda at fas.harvard.edu
Thu Jul 16 13:19:03 EDT 2009

Dear parents,

I am writing to let you all know about our experience with Dr. Susan
Holzman today at HUHS (Holyoke).  Dr. Holzman has been very
inattentive to our son since the day he was born.  She is not a very
good listener and has nearly given him the wrong shots several times
in the past.  In one case, she simply brought one too many shots to
give our son.  However, today we took him for his 15 month visit and
she gave him the wrong shot.  For some reason she had given him the
MMR shot at his 12 month visit and today she did not consult his
record and assumed that he should just get the MMR.  He was not
scheduled for another MMR until 4.5 years or so.  She did not realize
her mistake until we looked at the record and brought it to her
attention, at which point she admitted that she had not looked at his
record and made assumptions about what he should get at this visit.

I am emailing this message because I want the parents on this list to
know about this negligence.  In our case, it will not be damaging--at
least that is what other pediatricians (whom we actually trust) have
told us.  But it is very unsettling to think that a doctor is that
inattentive and that negligent that she does not even do the basics of
referring to the patient's chart.  Needless to say, this has caused us
to look for another doctor and file a complaint.

peace,
Maryann