[Parentsgroup-list] Deer ticks and lyme--HUHS doctors?

Alexander Macalalad amacalal at hsph.harvard.edu
Tue Jul 14 13:48:11 EDT 2009

Hi Sara,

You don't mention if you have any symptoms consistent with Lyme disease
(typically fever and a rash).  A few observations:

1.  If you are asymptomatic for a month after the tick bite, then it is
highly unlikely for you to develop symptoms later.  The guidelines put
out by the Infectious Diseases Society of America recommends watchful
waiting (no tests) in this case.

2.  If you are symptomatic, there are other tick borne illnesses endemic
to this area that you should be checked for, including babesia and
ehrlichia.  Make sure that your doctor knows to look for them.

3.  Even if you are symptomatic, it is highly unlikely for you to
transmit the infection to you daughter via breastfeeding.  I am unaware
of any cases documented in the medical literature.  And even if your
daughter were bitten by ticks, it would be watchful waiting until she is
symptomatic.

I hope that this is reassuring.  Since we live in an endemic area, I
would guess that HUHS sees their share of Lyme disease and should be
familiar with diagnosis and treatment.  I do not have personal
experience, however, so I can't vouch for any particular doctor.

Alex