[Parentsgroup-list] hourly rate for babysitting?

Jennifer Anderson jengoodand at googlemail.com
Thu Jan 29 20:35:14 EST 2009

Where I live in Brookline, a lot of people pay $15 to $18/hr.

Being a grad student, I can't afford that, but I have always found good
sitters (usually undergrads) whom I pay $10 to $12/hr.

I also have a seventh grader who comes over as a "mother's helper" (sitting
while I am in the house, locked in another room working), and she charges
$5/hr.

Jennifer

On Thu, Jan 29, 2009 at 8:13 PM, <rose at fas.harvard.edu> wrote:

> Leonor,
> >From what I understand, the going rate is $10/hr on up.
>
> I think that $10 is for high-school-type sitters, adults get at least
> $12/hr,
> and $15/hr for experienced adult babysitters (such as those with CPR
> training,
> daycare workers, etc).
>
> Additionally, I think that the rate is expected to go up as the babysitter
> has
> been with your for a year or more, etc. For example, some people have giv=
en
> $1/hr raise when the babysitter has been sitting for about a year on a
> consistent basis.
>
> However, I do not know if any of this is generalized to other people's
> experiences. Any comments?
>
> Susannah
>

> Quoting Leonor Perez <lxp243 at mail.harvard.edu>:
>
> > I'd like to know too.  Please respond so we can all read the info.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Leonor
> >
> > On Thu, Jan 29, 2009 at 5:05 PM, Kira Petersen
> > <kpeters at fas.harvard.edu>wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > > apologies for repeating a question that has surly been answered befor=
e.
> > > What is the going rate (or range) for babysitting around here right
> now?
> > >
> > > best,
> > > Kira
> > >

> > > Kira Petersen