[Parentsgroup-list] Day care scholarships

Lindsay Page lpage at fas.harvard.edu
Tue Jan 27 22:44:24 EST 2009

Hi all -

Based on the discussion around the uncertainty of the child care scholarship
program, I sent an email to Judy Singer, Vice Provost of Faculty Development
and Diversity.  The key text of my email (and the response that I received
from her office) are below.  I take from it that while they aren't able to
offer any specifics at this time, the issue is definitely on their radar and
hopefully a decision will come soon.

Hope this is helpful,

Lindsay

To Judy Singer:

For the past three years, the Office of Work/Life has had a pilot
scholarship program that has provided generous scholarship funds to graduate
students who send their children to the Harvard-affiliated day cares (which
are fabulous but quite expensive).  The day cares are currently asking
families to indicate their intent to re-enroll for the next academic year,
but we have not heard yet as to whether or not the scholarship program is
going to be continued, especially given the current financial situation.
For many, continuing at one of the Harvard day cares without the assistance
of a scholarship is not possible.

I'm wondering if you might be able to shed any light on this issue.  A few
questions include the following: has a decision been made yet as to whether
or not the scholarship program will continue?  If not, when might a decision
be expected? And if not, could you estimate a probability that it will
continue?  Finally, if you are able to provide answers to any of these
questions, would you mind if I shared them on the graduate student parent
list serv?  It's currently quite abuzz with discussion of how we might get
answers to these questions.

Response from Liza Cariaga-Lo, Assitant Provost for Faculty Development and
Diversity:

I am writing to follow up on the message you sent below to Senior Vice
Provost Singer. She was away at a conference last week, and she asked me to
respond to your email.

Since the doctoral student parent childcare scholarship program was
established as a pilot program and is currently in its last year of the
pilot phase, the university is currently in the process of assessing the
impact of the program and the next steps to be taken regarding future
funding. The University's Childcare Strategy Group has been working on the
issue over the last several months and will reach a decision shortly. We are
aware of the  issue faced by doctoral student parents regarding the
re-enrollment process, and we shall be discussing this at a meeting with the
Office of Work Life later this afternoon.

We are grateful to you for kind concern as expressed in your email below. We
have also heard from Garth McCavana in GSAS and others. Your thoughtful
articulation of the problem that many doctoral student parents are facing
right now will certainly be taken into consideration. I hope that we will be
able to give you soon.   In the meantime, please do not hesitate to call or
email me if you have any questions.