[Parentsgroup-list] Doctoral Student Scholarship

spsuch spsuch at gmail.com
Wed Jan 21 13:04:58 EST 2009

Hi Debrah, et al,

This is certainly a very tough situation. Here are my thoughts based  =

on my experience working with large (like Harvard) and small (like the  =

daycare centers) organizations.

I fear that if pressure is put on the University to make a decision  =

before they are ready and have decided the budget as a whole, the  =

answer is more likely to be 'no'. 'No' is, when it comes to financial  =

issues, the safer answer. What might be doable, however, is to find  =

out the date by which this decision will be made. Could the Office of  =

Work Life help to get an answer to this piece of the puzzle?

The organizations that do have flexibility are the daycare centers.  =

I'm not currently enrolled in one but have applied to most of them for  =

this September. They've told me that the earliest I might hear is the  =

beginning of spring or maybe, even, late April or early May. I'm not  =

sure what they do between January 23 and April 1, but maybe they could  =

find some way to move their January 23 deadline for re-enrolling  =

closer to April. I imagine they might start calling families, doing  =

tours, etc, but, the likely truth of the matter is that the need is so  =

great that they will fill their spots even if they wait.

If I were currently enrolled, I'd approach the director, explain the  =

situation and see if you (or anyone to whom this applies) might get an  =

extension on the re-enrollment deadline.

I hesitate to send out an email with advice that doesn't pertain to me  =

(though, fingers crossed on both the enrollment and scholarship  =

fronts, it might next year!), but here it is, for what it's worth...


On Jan 21, 2009, at 12:27 PM, Debrah Rud wrote:

> Hi all,
> As some of you may know, the doctoral student child care scholarship  =

> was a 3 year pilot program and last year was the last year of the  =

> pilot. The Office of Work Life does not know if the scholarship  =

> funds will be renewed. The deadline for re-enrolling children at  =

> many Harvard affiliated programs (where the funds are valid) is  =

> approaching quickly. I know for my daycare center (PTCC) the  =

> deadline to re-enroll is THIS FRIDAY 1/23.
> I called the Office of Work Life and they don=92t think it is likely  =

> that the scholarship committee will make a decision before the  =

> deadline to re-enroll. The woman in the office suggested that I  =

> contact my dean, which I did, and he didn=92t really know who to call  =

> to put pressure on. I=92m not sure what to do. It is a helpless feeling.
> I feel strongly that even if the answer is that the scholarships  =

> will not be available, we need to know that. The timing of this is  =

> very tricky, as we are being asked to either commit to paying $20K  =

> or more for a year of child care without knowing if we will get any  =

> financial assistance or to lose our hard-won slots at daycares where  =

> we have forged relationships with care givers.
> This is a tough spot. At least for me I know my son is eligible for  =

> kindergarten in Cambridge next fall, but there are many families  =

> that don=92t have the choice of public school next year.
> Does anyone know who we can talk to in order to get an answer? I  =

> think this puts many of us in a very difficult position.
> Thanks,
> Debrah
> _______________________________________________
> Parentsgroup-list mailing list
> Parentsgroup-list at lists.hcs.harvard.edu
> http://lists.hcs.harvard.edu/mailman/listinfo/parentsgroup-list

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://lists.hcs.harvard.edu/pipermail/parentsgroup-list/attachments/2=

More information about the Parentsgroup-list mailing list