[Parentsgroup-list] Doctoral Student Scholarship

spsuch spsuch at gmail.com
Wed Jan 21 13:04:58 EST 2009

Hi Debrah, et al,

This is certainly a very tough situation. Here are my thoughts based  =

on my experience working with large (like Harvard) and small (like the  =

daycare centers) organizations.

I fear that if pressure is put on the University to make a decision  =

before they are ready and have decided the budget as a whole, the  =

answer is more likely to be 'no'. 'No' is, when it comes to financial  =

issues, the safer answer. What might be doable, however, is to find  =

out the date by which this decision will be made. Could the Office of  =

Work Life help to get an answer to this piece of the puzzle?

The organizations that do have flexibility are the daycare centers.  =

I'm not currently enrolled in one but have applied to most of them for  =

this September. They've told me that the earliest I might hear is the  =

beginning of spring or maybe, even, late April or early May. I'm not  =

sure what they do between January 23 and April 1, but maybe they could  =

find some way to move their January 23 deadline for re-enrolling  =

closer to April. I imagine they might start calling families, doing  =

tours, etc, but, the likely truth of the matter is that the need is so  =

great that they will fill their spots even if they wait.

If I were currently enrolled, I'd approach the director, explain the  =

situation and see if you (or anyone to whom this applies) might get an  =

extension on the re-enrollment deadline.

I hesitate to send out an email with advice that doesn't pertain to me  =

(though, fingers crossed on both the enrollment and scholarship  =

fronts, it might next year!), but here it is, for what it's worth...

Sara
HGSE