[Parentsgroup-list] Doctoral Student Scholarship

Debrah Rud debrah_rud at student.hms.harvard.edu
Wed Jan 21 12:27:56 EST 2009

Hi all,

As some of you may know, the doctoral student child care scholarship was a 3
year pilot program and last year was the last year of the pilot. The Office
of Work Life does not know if the scholarship funds will be renewed. The
deadline for re-enrolling children at many Harvard affiliated programs
(where the funds are valid) is approaching quickly. I know for my daycare
center (PTCC) the deadline to re-enroll is THIS FRIDAY 1/23.

I called the Office of Work Life and they don=B9t think it is likely that t=
he
scholarship committee will make a decision before the deadline to re-enroll.
The woman in the office suggested that I contact my dean, which I did, and
he didn=B9t really know who to call to put pressure on. I=B9m not sure what=
do. It is a helpless feeling.

I feel strongly that even if the answer is that the scholarships will not be
available, we need to know that. The timing of this is very tricky, as we
are being asked to either commit to paying $20K or more for a year of child
care without knowing if we will get any financial assistance or to lose our
hard-won slots at daycares where we have forged relationships with care
givers. =

This is a tough spot. At least for me I know my son is eligible for
kindergarten in Cambridge next fall, but there are many families that don=
=B9t
have the choice of public school next year.

Does anyone know who we can talk to in order to get an answer? I think this
puts many of us in a very difficult position.

Thanks,
Debrah