[Parentsgroup-list] Cane baskets for Toy Storage

Manjari C. Miller mchatter at fas.harvard.edu
Mon Jan 12 23:21:18 EST 2009

I second Ikea--they have these really cool colorful collapsible bins that
can go on the floor or hung on the wall, can be attached as a single unit
or kept separately. I bought one set and wished I had bought two more.
Here's tje link:

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/80107827

Although, for my sanity, I've tried to keep toys out of the living room
and compensated by putting my toddler's books there instead...

Best,
Manjari

On Mon, 12 Jan 2009, Griffin, April Marie wrote:

> Hi Meeta,
> I don't know where to find cane baskets, but I will tell you that I modified an IKEA wardrobe to accomodate toys in my living room (I have a 3 year old) and its a very clean way to keep lots and lots of toys organized yet still accessible by my little boy and he's learned how to put them away too. I'm attaching a picture in which you can see what I did, its a small footprint on the floor and ikea sells all widths, heights and bin sizes so don't be intimidated by my monster. I have 2 wardrobes side by side also holding all my electronics and TV, printer, and office supplies all behind closeable doors. I have 9 bins, 6 of which are about 1.5ft deep, and the bottom 3 are at least 2 feet deep, we have TONS of toys and it just looks very clean and they are very easy for him to pull out and put back in by himself. If this isn't helpful to you, then I hope you do find the perfect storage solution. My experience with baskets is that they get broken or have sharp edges after not tha
 t long of a time, and they also never really stay in their 'home'. For us, cubbies was the way to go.IKEA also sells a bucket storage system specifically for kids in nice colors and he has a whole wall of this storage in his room, it makes all the difference in the world. Good luck!