[Parentsgroup-list] FOLLOWUP Children at GSAS graduation

rose at fas.harvard.edu rose at fas.harvard.edu
Wed Apr 22 16:09:15 EDT 2009

Dean Garth McCavana's response to Alexander's followup question (below):

Dear Susannah,

Please feel free to post my response to the Parents' Group.

Those who accompany children in the basement room do NOT need
tickets. Alexander's plan of having his parents sit in the theatre
and his wife stay with their child in the children's room in the
basement is one that many students with children follow.

The accompanying parent will be told by the GSAS staff member in the
room when to go upstairs to the theatre. He/she will then hand over
the child to the graduating parent who by this time will be standing
in line close to the steps to the stage. (We award the degrees
alphabetically by department, except for the Longwood Area ones which
are awarded first so that they can get to ceremonies over there.) The
accompanying parent can then go out and go to the other side of the
stage to watch his/her spouse receive the degree and then take the
child back from the graduating parent.

I hope that this clarifies things, but I'd be happy to answer any
other questions people may have.

Best wishes,

Garth