[Parentsgroup-list] small kids at graduation

rose at fas.harvard.edu rose at fas.harvard.edu
Tue Apr 21 17:33:37 EDT 2009

From the GSAS Dean Garth McCavana:

Dear Susannah,

I'm happy to answer the query.

The policy is that we welcome the children of graduating students on
stage at Sanders Theatre as their parents receive their degrees.
Everyone seated in Sanders Theater, however, has to have a ticket. We
used to be able to pack as many people as possible into the venue,
but after the Rhode Island nightclub fire, we have been restricted to
the number of people who can be seated in the theatre.

What we do is that we have a children's room in the basement of
Sanders where we have a simulcast. The GSAS staff who are there keep
an eye on which departments are receiving their degrees and accompany
the children (along with whichever adults are accompanying them) to
the theatre. They then join their parent as the parent is lining up
with his/her department and march across the stage with him/her. They
do receive what we call "baby diplomas" that attest to their having
attended their parent's commencement on X date.

I hope that this helps. Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Regards,

Garth