[Parentsgroup-list] bike to drop off kid (with kid seat)

Sebastian Velez svelez at oeb.harvard.edu
Wed Sep 24 23:52:02 EDT 2008

Hi all again:

I will say the following in the spirit of fun and of exploring this
topic with other grad students parents. I reread my original post about
seats and feel compelled to clarify some things.

Around Harvard I see two kinds of graduate student parents: first there
are those that ask for nannies on this list, argue the merits of this or
that other $2,000/mo Harvard daycare center, dress their children in
fleece 'outdoor outfits', and worry about the organic content of their
children's cereal. Then there's people like me who barely make enough
and are quite content with serving white bread and boiled broccoli for
breakfast, carry their children on their backs while going to class,
doing experiments in the lab and grading exams, and buy clothing by the
bag at the Salvation Army.

If you can drop $230 for a well-appointed Kettler child seat with "Three
piece injection molded resin body" (http://www.kettlerdirect.com/) and
all the safety features Ralph Nader could come up with, you and I, my
friend, share the same city but live in different worlds. The advice I
gave about bike seats would not apply to you.

But still, for those that fall into my category of grad student parent,
I think my advice remains valid: get your seat at a garage sale or off
Craigslist for a few bucks, and as long as it's not cracked and it is
firmly attached to the bike, you should be good to go. It does not
matter how the seat is designed, if you put a 50-lb child high above the
ground on an unstable object such as the bicycle, such a high center of
gravity will make the bike tip like crazy whenever you are not moving.
All the seats that I've seen put the child on top of the rear tire, so
it's not that the bike lifts the front wheel, but that it swivels to the
sides. Come by my place on a Sunday and I'll show you. Again, this is an
issue of the mass of the child at a high point. No seat that I've seen
puts the child 12" from the ground in the middle of the bike.

If you are not of the mechanically inclined, drop me a line and come by
my place and I'll help you bolt it in place with my tools. Bike shops in
Cambridge are a joke. Any shop that advertises $69 "tune-ups" is the
same that will suggest a $150 maintenance job on a $50 bike, a job which
you probably don't need anyway.

Something I really liked when I first saw them was those seats where the
child sits on the top tube of the bike, right in front of you, like
Candice mentioned. When I was a child, my relatives would carry me
sitting on the handlebars, which is quite stable, but when I did that
with my oldest daughter when she was young, people here on the street
would yell at me that I was crazy. So I stopped doing that. The safety
police, you know. You can give a crazy 16-year-old a license to drive a
car and an 18-year-old a machine gun to go and kill, but can't carry a
child on the handlebars.

On the Trail-A-Bike things, my daughter has been pointing at them
lately, so I have my eyes open for a used one. I bet they are fun.
Again, for a new one at $145, refer to the 3rd paragraph above.

To end with a reply to the original post, as he said that he was looking
for fun with his daughter: yes, it is more fun and your child will love
you for it. Do it quick before she grows up (my oldest one is 17
already!), and spend your time riding with her, not reading reviews and
list of safety features, and definitely not shopping.

Best to all,

Sebastian

Daddy-o for Cheyla (17) and Mariana (5)

Candice M. Etson wrote:
> [...]
>
> You can also get a seat that mounts in front of the adult, example here:
> http://www.weeride.com/
> I've never used one of these, but I've heard good reviews. Many people like the
> stability of having the seat close to the natural center of gravity of the
> bike. The only complaint I've heard about these is that if you are small, it is
> hard to ride the bike because the seat is basically between your legs.
>
> All of these seats have weight limits for safety, and they vary, so check before
> you buy. Most kids aren't ready to ride on their own by the time they size out
> of the seat. If you are in that situation, I highly recommend the Trail-a-bike:
> http://www.trail-a-bike.com/product/
> My older daughter rode behind me on ours until she was about 7 years old. She
> loved it because she felt like a big girl, and I knew she wasn't going to
> swerve into traffic or get left behind. And she learned the rules of the road
> this way. Now, you might see us riding around town, me with a toddler on back
> of my bike, and her following very safely behind, using hand signals and all.
>
> Good luck, and good riding!
>
> Candice
> Biophysics, G6
> mom of Helen (10) and Justine (2.5)
>
> Quoting Sebastian Velez <svelez at oeb.harvard.edu>:
>
>> Hi all:
>>
>> I've carried my daughter on a child seat attached to my bike since she
>> was 6 months old. She is now 5-1/2 and still loves it. I take her to
>> school, to buy groceries, to go to the public pools around Cambridge,
>> everything. She likes it more than the car, and won't get into a stroller.
>>
>> I use the kind of seat that goes in the back of the bike. It throws the
>> balance off when you are not moving, and we've fallen from the bike
>> quite a few times when waiting for a red light. When you are moving the
>> momentum keep the bike up and it is quite stable.
>>
>> Any model will do; I think they are all the same. I got mine at a garage
>> sale for something like $5, if that much. My bike is 15 years old. The
>> seats come with clamps and such that you can attach to any bike. Mine
>> even had things to remove the seat quickly, but I threw these away and
>> just bolted it to the bike with bolts from the hardware store, as it
>> feels more secure this way. When my daughter is not with me on the bike,
>> I use the seat to carry stuff; very useful especially with the seatbelt
>> to hold the cargo.
>>
>> As for where to get a bike, Kirkland house (where I'm a resident tutor)
>> will have a bike auction in a couple weeks. The bikes are in really good
>> condition and I'm sure you'll be able to find something cheap among the
>> 100 bikes up for auction.
>>
>> Hope that helps,
>>
>> Sebastian
>>
>> Griffin, April Marie wrote:
>>> I too was thinking just today that a bike would be more fun and provide
>> more options than walking with my 2.5 year old. So I second the request for a

>>> Taeseok