[Parentsgroup-list] bike to drop off kid (with kid seat)

Sebastian Velez svelez at oeb.harvard.edu
Wed Sep 24 20:00:33 EDT 2008

Hi all:

I've carried my daughter on a child seat attached to my bike since she
was 6 months old. She is now 5-1/2 and still loves it. I take her to
school, to buy groceries, to go to the public pools around Cambridge,
everything. She likes it more than the car, and won't get into a stroller.

I use the kind of seat that goes in the back of the bike. It throws the
balance off when you are not moving, and we've fallen from the bike
quite a few times when waiting for a red light. When you are moving the
momentum keep the bike up and it is quite stable.

Any model will do; I think they are all the same. I got mine at a garage
sale for something like $5, if that much. My bike is 15 years old. The
seats come with clamps and such that you can attach to any bike. Mine
even had things to remove the seat quickly, but I threw these away and
just bolted it to the bike with bolts from the hardware store, as it
feels more secure this way. When my daughter is not with me on the bike,
I use the seat to carry stuff; very useful especially with the seatbelt
to hold the cargo.

As for where to get a bike, Kirkland house (where I'm a resident tutor)
will have a bike auction in a couple weeks. The bikes are in really good
condition and I'm sure you'll be able to find something cheap among the
100 bikes up for auction.

Hope that helps,

Sebastian