[Parentsgroup-list] practice for nanny's pay when we are off on vacation?

Laura Thiemann Scales ltscales at gmail.com
Tue Sep 9 13:05:19 EDT 2008

We also pay our nanny when we're on vacation.  We worked it out when
she was hired that she'd get 2 weeks of paid vacation, one that she
picks and one that we pick.  If we go away for more vacation then
that, she gets paid for that too.  I think otherwise the pay is too
uncertain; if a family suddenly decides to go away for a month (or 30
random days throughout the year), the nanny shouldn't suffer the loss
of pay for a decision that was out of her control.

I know that not everyone offers paid vacation, but I think that's
generally for cases when the nanny chooses how much time to take off,
rather than for when the family decides to go away.

Laura